School Alumni History
Saint Robert Bellarmine continues its rich tradition established with the first graduating class of 1969. That rich tradition continues today and will continue into the future. In 2015 Saint Robert Bellarmine was awarded the prestige’s Blue Ribbon Award for Academic Excellence from the U.S. Department of Education.
The inception of a new parish in the Omaha Archdiocese began June 9, 1966 by Archbishop Bergan. In gratitude for the service of the Society of Jesus in the Omaha Community, Archbishop Bergan selected Saint Robert Bellarmine as the new parish name. Saint Robert Bellarmine (1554-1621) was a Jesuit and a Cardinal. He was one of the most important figures in the Counter Reformation. St. Robert was canonized in 1930 and named a Doctor of the Church. A site for the church and school complex was chosen and the ground breaking ceremony was on May 13, 1967.
Fr. Eugene Kerwin was chosen as the founding pastor. The school opened in September of 1968 with 451 students in attendance. The students were greeted by the first principal, Sister Dolorita Reandeau, Mrs. Grace Conahan, the school secretary, and nine lay teachers. The first graduating class of 32 students was in 1969.
Ten years later in September of 1979 the church was completed, and the first all-school Mass was held in the permanent Church on September 27, 1979. Saint Robert Bellarmine Parish has had four pastors, four principals, and numerous assistant pastors, teachers and staff members. In the words of Fr. Kerwin,
“If we build any monuments, let them be monuments of the spirit, of Christian love, of a people of God on a pilgrimage to heaven, bequeathing their children the best gift of all, a deep love of God.”
Watch for new installments, special events and updates for the 50th Jubilee of Saint Robert Bellarmine School.